We all hope to cut down on energy as much as possible without sacrificing our daily routines. Although you could certainly save a lot of energy by shutting off all power and living like a caveman, it’s not the most practical suggestion. Instead, you should look for simple ways to decrease energy consumption. The experts at Salt Light & Electric are here to help. We have come up with some essential tips to help improve energy efficiency. Read our notes below and start cutting down on energy usage in your Central Texas home today!
#1 Streamline Use
- Plugged in appliances and electronics (whether on or off) are known culprits of energy usage, but with effective measures, you can improve energy efficiency immensely.
- Unplug appliances when unused and turn off lights in empty rooms.
- Take shorter showers, and don’t let unused water run in the bathroom or kitchen.
- Never leave your TV on overnight. Instead use a charged tablet or phone to watch your favorite shows without wasting energy.
- Wash your clothes in full loads with cold water to minimize water heater usage.
- Clear your dryer’s lint filter before each load and set to “Automatic Dry” to improve efficiency.
- Close fridge and freezer doors as soon as you’re done using them.
#2 Adjust Home Temperature
- According to the DOE, Your HVAC system accounts for almost half of your home’s energy consumption,but by using your thermostat, you can minimize usage drastically.
- Adjusting your cooling and heating about 7°-10°F from your original settings can save up to 10% a year on energy.
- Your refrigerator’s temperature can also be adjusted down to save energy but remember that your fridge must be kept at 35-40°F and freezer at 0°F or below to avoid spoiling food.
#3 Increase Airflow and Insulation
- Your HVAC system uses power to circulate cool and warm air through your home, but this air can escape, wasting precious energy.
- Leave doors and windows closed as much as possible and consider purchasing weather stripping to avoid air leaks.
- Remove any items blocking your vents and replace your filters every 2-3 months.
#4 Invest in Energy Star Certified Models
- Energy Starcertified appliances and fixtures are paramount in increasing energy efficiency.
- Replacing incandescent lighting with Energy Star LEDscan cut down as much as 60% on energy consumption from lighting, while also having a longer lifespan.
- Energy Starmodels also exist for washers, dryers, refrigerators, and ovens.
- Salt Light & Electricprovides affordable lighting services to install Energy Star lighting in your home.
#5 Maintain Your Electrical System
- Since your electrical system powers your home, it is the heart of your energy usage.
- Performing regular maintenance ensures your electrical system is up-to-date and any issues are notified before they become too severe.
- Contact Salt Light & Electricfor electrical maintenance inspections to keep your electrical system operating efficiently.
Make your home energy efficient without losing the comfort! If you are ready to maximize energy efficiency with a maintenance inspection, contact Salt Light & Electric today! Central Texas homeowners need to know how their electrical system is performing and what problems need to be fixed, and our electrical inspection services can do just that. Give us a call at (512) 956-7842 to schedule an appointment and meet your electrical experts.